A Message from volunteer Kevin Hudson: In 2010 I moved to Athens, GA. As such I am not around Hillcrest as often as I would like any more, but I still maintaining the records and helping people with grave locations as best I can with occasional visits. Unfortunately, we also stopped having volunteer cleanup days at Hillcrest when I moved, as I had lived nearby and kept the tools handy and time to coordinate the events. Cam and Margene still keep the hired mowing crew going using the donations that still come in—we have a great local mower who respects the grounds and gives us a great rate.
I visited Hillcrest earlier this month to do some research, and found that we are long overdue for some volunteer work before the first spring mowing. We will be out there this Saturday, March 16, from 10am-2pm and invite those of you who are local and able to join us on this day.
Here is a partial list or projects that need attention:
- Remove a couple small dead trees/shrubs
- Pick up limbs and branches
- Pick up litter…lots of it
- Remove old flowers (our biggest project for this date)
- Perhaps some pruning and cutting back some shrubs
- Raking is a low priority, but is sometimes needed in the old section
- Bug spray or sunscreen (maybe needed?)
- Gloves—we will have some but best to being some you like
- Heavy-duty trash bags for flowers
- Any hand tools you like using (pruners, loppers, leaf rakes) though we may have some to share
- No power tools or mowers, please! Hopefully there will be too many people around for this. If you would like to volunteer to do some leaf blowing and such, contact me and we can arrange another time.
- Exception: We need one chain saw to cut a couple small trunks and maybe to cut some limbs to a smaller size.
Please share this and invite your friends and community groups. We hope to have refreshments as well.
If you use Facebook, you can sign up and invite others to this event here.
Hillcrest also has its own Facebook page too.